BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On to Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.)

This morning we left Nova Scotia---sadly. I realllllllly like it there!! But I'm sure I would have issues with the weather before long. It rained all night and this morn the wind was ferocious!!!! White caps way out to sea. But venture on, we did. We stopped at a small village right on the ocean to see a family that Bro Wood couselled about jobs several years ago. He was on a special forces team, had some arrests that led to his house being fire bombed in retaliation (fortunately he had a thought that something bad was coming and got his family out). So he got off that force and disappeared into the wilds and now raised cashmere goats!!! They comb them, take the cashmere into a person that knits shawls, wrist warmers, socks, etc. The shawls were selling for $700 and they get sold!!! They are beautiful. She puts glass beads on them and she dyes the cashmere. You only get about 6 oz off each goat after several combings!! So, here's a VERY expensive picture of the cashmere goats!!



Then we got on the Ferry and crossed the St. Lawrence. That's one way to the island and you either leave that way or across one bridge---which we will take on Friday to get back to New Brunswick. With the high winds it was a little rocky but since it was only a 75 minute ride, no stomach contents were lost.


Here are some lighthouse pictures for you who love them. It's the lighthouse as we approached P.E.I.








We also took a trip to Cavendish to see the Anne of Green Gables house. Yup, I hear all the excitement.........the only problem was that I wanted it to be REAL. I wanted Anne to be a real person and this a real house. I kept pointing to where Diana's house was, where Rachel's house would be........anyway, here's some pictures:


This is the inside of the barn with the surrey.


This is the barn taken from the front of the house.


And here's the front of the house.


This is Anne's bedroom window in the front of the house.


Here's Anne's bedroom.


Looking out thru Anne's window.


This is the entrance to the Haunted Woods


View of house from the Haunted Woods entrance


DUH!!!!


Haunted Woods babbling brook


Entrance to Lovers Lane

I have all kinds of other pictures---especially of the inside of the house with Matthew and Marilla's bedrooms, the kitchen, pantry, etc, but this blog will be sooooo long and it takes forever to download the pictures.

Just a few other things. I always thought Nova Scotia was a barren windswept place but it's not. Trees are still changing color and lots of inlets and outlets. Same with PEI. There's much more farmland here tho. The island is anywhere from .2 to 40 miles wide and there are streams, ponds and ocean everywhere. All the cereal boxes are English on one side and French on the other side. Fun in the grocery stores as everything that needs description is in both English and French. We've heard a lot more French being spoken on PEI. All the news reports like the weather are in kilometers, kilograms, liters (gas is $1.07 perliter), grams, knots, temp today was 9 degrees (centigrade).
All the street signs are in French and English. It's all kinda fun. So enjoy the pix and if you're interested let me know and I'll send you the pix in an MSN email.

BTW, for those who don't know, right click on the picture, save it to one of your files and then you can see it on the whole screen--details are more fun. Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Janae said...

i would love to see all the extra pictures.... that is one of my favorite movies of all times.... I have finally come to the conclusion that my video tapes have to be replaced with the dvd's... I will one day get to visit there and pretend for real that I am Anne with an E!!! That is were K's middle name comes from!!! besides being named after Grama we added the E...

Carrie said...

Thanks for the pictures! I think I'm going to have to watch the movie again! It's been a while. I'm so jealous of you two galavanting around P.E.I. (as the kids are calling it these days:))

Jolynn said...

I, too, loved that movie and would love more pix!

Kristin said...

You mean, she isn't real?!?

I don't remember the movies (sounds like we need to see them), but love the books.

Kim and company said...

Grandma, It sure looks like pday is more than once a week! Wow! I loved being a full time young missionary, but I think I'm going to adore being a full time missionary with my hubby! We love the updates---thanks much!