BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 13, 2009

Boston City Sights


In January I bought a deal online that had six sites in the city that we needed to see. Well, I don't know if we actually "needed" to see them but I know that if left to our own devices we would never see them. We have til the end of March to use the tickets. So, yesterday being a balmy 32 degrees, but sunny, with some pretty stiff winds, we went to the JFK Library and Museum. What's frightening is that my children were not even born when he was president and I know my grandkids probably don't even know that he was assinated!!!! By the way, it's John Fitzgerald Kennedy for you babies in American History. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the President of the most powerful country in the world was killed by a sniper bullet!!!! Actually, we were here in Boston and I was taking a "sick" day from work being 2 months pregnant. I was coming upstairs to out apartment after checking the mail when the neighbor on the second floor came out and told me!! Walter Cronkite (another name most of you young uns don't know) had tears in his eyes as he made the announcement that the President was dead, on tv----black and white at that!!

The museum sits right on the edge of Boston Harbor and when the wind really whips I bet there's a windown washer that has nightmares!! These two pictures are taken from the entry floor looking out the windows towards Boston and the islands of the harbor.

There wasn't a whole lot to take pictures of in there but all the newcasts of his campaign, interviews, debates with Nixon, Jackie's clothes, all the memorabilia given to them by other heads of state, personal letters, reconstruction of his office and all the things you expect to see in the library. The only reference to his assasination was a video taken by a person that got pushed around and you couldn't see anything, and a short hallway that was black walls with a video of the funeral procession.


I just happen to like this saying and wanted to remember it!
You see the lighthouse off in the distance across the harbor.

And here's dad watching a movie while I went to the gift store:)


Then we went to the Museum of Science---which turned out to be a big mistake. Not only was it Valentines Day, but a Saturday and the first day of the week long school vacation. Now why anyone would want a school vacation in February, I do NOT know and especially with all the snow days that need to be made up. The traffic was horrendous!!! Parking at the JFK Library was free in a paved area right by the museum (which is a novelty). The science museum had garage parking to the tune of $15 if you were there 6 hours and up to $30 is you were there all day. I do believe all the families, young couples, and old couples from the suburbs drove there on this particular day. They even extended the hours til 7 pm. Hords of kids everywhere and the line to get tickets was literally a mile long. So we decided to wait another day and just eat there---which was an experience in itself!!! But my burrito was pretty good considering some we've gotten other places. The customer service person said to wait and week and come back when it was a little saner. The frog exhibition had just opened too which was a big draw!! But I did get a good picture of the T Rex on our way out. This is for all the kids!!!

Fortunately, all the things we're going to see are inside so the weather isn't a problem. But there's no parking at any of the rest of the sites so we have to brave the "T".
Today we drove down to a ward in the Providence, RI stake but the ward was in Connecticut. Took us 90 minutes to get there and of course their meeting was at 0900. I need a church that doesn't DO mornings! Altho the last two weeks I've felt like I was in church all the time with all our meetings and driving around And I'm SOOOO excited for daylight savings time in 2 week!!! I don't like the sun going down at 4 pm and now it's finally up to 5 pm and still just a tich of light at 6 pm. Makes me think spring can't be far away HA HA HA!!!
Well, two blogs in three days has about worn me out!!! Hope someone is reading them, altho this does count as my journal!!! Of sorts......Oh, we stopped at Costco on the way home yesterday and I now have a scrapbook table so I can get started on doing a book and catching up!!! I daresay it will be cluttered with all the stuff we put on the kitchen table. Have to eat in the living room because when we come in we just drop everything on the table!!! So it's off to eat Hamburger Helper. They have some new ones out that we're trying to see if they're edible......ugh

5 comments:

Karla and Mike said...

Well, at least one person reads your blogs, ME! And I am enjoying hearing all about a part of the country I may never get to visit in depth, so keep on posting. I also enjoy hearing about the adventures of a missionary who was never going to be a missionary. You have changed your tune!
Karla

Melinda said...

Austin knows that JFK was assassinated. He came to me the other day and asked me if *I* knew that :)

Kim and company said...

Dallin is currently doing a report on JFK, and knows a lot more about him than I do, but we are learning a lot! We are reading your blog, thanks for keeping us up on your life. I'm happy you get to scrapbook!

jen Whetman said...

Be careful with the meat you choose to go with your hamburger helper. Stay away from the "meat" that Sarah M. used (intestines) while in China. Boston is such a great place and tons to see. Keep taking photos and posting them, it's great reading while at work...

Catrina said...

I love reading your blog. It makes me feel like we are there with you. I would love to visit there when the leaves are turning, as the pictures looked incredible! :)