FINALLY!! They released our mission papers for assignment today! How do I know??? I got a call from Dr. Doty, the Missionary Medical Advisor (and the one who kept deciding I needed all those blood draws). He was our regional rep at one time and he's a reknowned heart surgeon here in the valley. His question to me: "would you be willing to use your talents in nursing in a mission assignment??" (Ummm, did he want me to deliver babies or what??!!!). Well, of course. He replied, "good girl"!! No brother and sister stuff here!!!! Then he supposed that I would want to know what my husband would be doing. I figured he would NOT want to dabble in any blood, gore, shots, broken bones, nausea, vomiting, headaches, mental problems.....well, we would have an office assignment and I would have the additional assignment of assisting the mission medical director. Kim said she remembers that person giving the missionaries shots every couple months!!!
.
Next question---can we really be ready to go Sept 1? Well, why not??? It's all of 7 weeks away. And it took me more than a week to clean out my scrapbook room. So just a week for the bedroom, another week for the kitchen, another for the upstairs, another week to have everyone here to party, another week for a trip to California and St. George....works out fine....
I did ask if it was likely we would stay stateside or go overseas. He hemmed and hawed a little and said probably stateside so I would have access to my medications. I reminded him I have this SIL, a pharmacist, that will supply my drug needs.
So, the bottom line is, we will have our call in 7-10 days. Of course on day 10 we will be in St. George with Rick's family. And we'll have to wait until July 26th when we get home for the news. So I vote for a week from now. I can take the news over the phone whilst enjoying the bantering at The Place. Surely that would be a great conversation piece......Burley, Idaho, here we come.
And we should have ourselves ready for training Sept. 1. At least that gives us a date to plan on. Stateside would surely be more convenient in a lot of ways: insurance, baptisms and blessings (I guess they let senior couples take off for a Saturday and Sunday for those things at their own expense--depends on the mission president), taking our car and unlimited luggage, a local Walmart, familiar restaurants for eating out, computer access, etc. But we wouldn't have the adventure of a foreign country. Whatever!! And probably no one would come to visit us here in the States.......
Actually, this today is probably more exciting than the actual call. We know it's happening and we have a date!! All the things running around in our minds. Of course I texted everyone to read their emails and WOW--the phone starting ringing, the emails are flying back and forth and answers to my texting piling up-----Katelynn wanted to know "who are you" when she got the text message!!
So this blog will be our journal and we'll keep it updated weekly. No pictures yet but at least I have a background!!! And rather than text, we'll blog the call!! Stay tuned....
Friday, July 11, 2008
No more blood draws
Posted by Galloping Grandparents (GG) at 3:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
YIPPEE!! Very exciting!!
I'm anxious to see where you will go!
Wow... your blog is looking good.. we are praying for you and are excited for the call.. glad you will be with us soon.. we are all ready to play relax and have fun!!
Post a Comment