BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day 3 at the MTC



Well, we're official missionaries. That doesn't mean we're ready to go out and convert the world!!! We gave a discussion yesterday and today and it's a real challenge. So different than when our boys were out. It's all about teaching to the interests and needs of the "I". And you have to be able to get those things out and talked about and then you relate how the Plan of Salvation can help!! O Boy!!! And I am not a scriptorian. Dick is much better at that. But they haven't fired us yet!!!

We thought Boston was a kind of exciting place to go but in our group of senior missionaries we have couples going to South Africa, Argentina, Armenia, India, Mexico City, Puerto Rico, Canada, Alaska, Norway, Brazil, Germany, Costa Rica, Independence, Detroit, Orlando, and I can't remember the rest. So it's a very diverse group. And it was exciting today to see over 500 new missionaries enter the MTC. They all look sooooooo young!!! And they probably think we are old fogies!! They hold doors open for us, I had a young man take my breakfast tray this morning and they even let us get ahead in the food lines. They all seem excited and rarin' to go. RM's teach most of our classes and they sure are good. They're going to be great church leaders in the future. Their knowledge of the gospel is amazing as are their testimonies.

Because the MTC is so crowded 15 senior couples are staying in the Super 8 motel--us included. No problem!!! And the food at the MTC is quite good and filling. There's lot of choices each meal so with all the sitting we're doing between meals we'll surely gain weight.

And you haven't heard singing til you've heard over 2000 missionaries singing hymns!! That was incredible!!! Quentin L. Cook was the speaker at last nights devotional and he got everyone fired up.

So it's quite an experience--especially for those of us not quite in the missionary mode. They get you there!!

5 comments:

jen Whetman said...

Oh Karen! You both look so happy and ready for some kind of an adventure... My father in law and his wife have gone on two missions and said both were wonderful experiences. I'm sure you and Dick will have many great stories and experiences during your service. Good luck and have tons of FUN!

Paige said...

I'm so excited to read about your experiences! We're proud of you guys and I know my parents can't wait to join you in the ranks of the missionaries!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm all fired up about missions now! So excited for you...and we'll be anxious to hear all about it. You'll both be AWESOME!

Amy Spalding said...

Brings back lots of awesome memories! I absolutely LOVED the MTC. It was such a great experience. I am excited for you guys. You'll be GREAT missionaries!

Kim and company said...

How stinkin cute are you two! How fun! Karen--you don't have to be a scriptorian (although it helps) you have always been GREAT at relating to people---and that will be a tremendous asset when sharing the gospel. You are great with people---you both will be terrific missionaries---no question!